maandag 8 mei 2017

Japan 2017 day 6: Toys at Akiba + Asakusa Sensoji Temple

It was monday the 20th of March and apparently a holiday: Vernal Equinox Day in Japan, so a lot of people had the day off and probably it was going to be very crowded anywhere in Tokyo. And yes, it was. We wanted to go to Asakusa, but that alone would not be a enough to fill the day, so we decided to go to Akihabara shortly again first.

That's a loooot of troopers
 I was very curious about the Yodabashi Camera there, because technic stuff + Akiba can only mean that it's massive. And yeah it was, there were multiple elevators and there were people promoting the newest items everywhere in the store. Mostly I wanted to go see the toy-section though. Guilty pleasure, but we both love to go to toy stores, not only for the games but I like cheesy toys, and to see what people design for kids these days.

And well, it wasn't only for kids, there was a lot of anime and other merchandise too, so lots of nice stuff and I really enjoyed seeing everything!
They had arcade stations for kids too!
I wanted to buy this so badly but it wouldn't have fit in our suitcase.
On to Asakusa for lunch and then see the temple. It was supercrowded already at the station though and I couldn't decide what to eat. While browsing some shops I saw a side alley and luckily there we found a peaceful place to eat. It was a really small cozy family-oriented restaurant, where I ordered a lunch set with all kinds of things. I had to say the fried tempura was pretty nice, Japan's fish dishes are so much better than what I can find in The Netherlands (everything smells literally fishy here if you ask me and I hate that smell).


 Apparently we wandered in a wrong direction though because the main gate for the temple was on another side. That said, we could find the main temple square anyway, because of the crowd going there. I'm not kidding, take a look at the photos on the side!

Surprisingly the whole complex wasn't as big as we thought. The temple itself was big, but just several smaller shrines, a small pond and some food stalls next to it.

 However, the street with all the small shops going to the temple was long, it really is a touristic place and very different from Meiji Shrine for example. Nice to see, but I wouldn't go to Sensoji again.
Since we had still some time left, I'd thought to go to Shibuya again and visit 109, luckily Nick agreed because by now he obviously was really done with looking at fashion all the time :P! It took us a while to find the right exit of the station though, but because of that we could see the crossing from above a bit!

After that we were both quite tired because of the crowd and felt like eating and staying at the hotel. Buying food from Lawson and resting while watching Japanese TV is really quite enjoyable too!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen